October 12, 2012

From Raisin to Grape


It's been sunny and dry in Portland for three months.  A record.  And it's been beautiful, especially the last few days when the wind brought brown and red leaves down to the street for them to rattle on the pavement and make crackling sounds.  And yet, a few of us longed for the rain and most of us felt it coming over a week ago (whether we listened to any meteorologist or not). 

I felt it creeping closer, but I wasn't sure what day it would start.  This morning, I rode my bike to yoga and thought I felt a drop but dismissed the notion until a car crossed the intersection with its windshield wipers going. By the time I arrived to class, a steady mist had started.  By the time I rode home, my bike seat was soaked and the mist thick enough to have created puddles, making that lush sound of car tires whooshing through shallow water and covering my glasses in so many dots it became debatable whether wearing the lenses was helping my vision or making it worse.

As I rode home, I felt my lips and face soak in the water.  My lips, chapped for the last two weeks, soaked in the moisture and became smooth and soft.  My face plumped out any room for sag or wrinkles.  I've been re-hydrated!  From raisin to grape!  A metamorphosis only possible in humans, since we know re-hydrated raisins are just re-hydrated raisins, there's no returning to the grape.  For me, at least for this moment in the rain, my skin felt renewed and plumped up after a long, slow wilt. 

Had I chosen not to go to yoga, had I chosen a different class to attend, had I decided to sleep in instead, I would not have been outside in the exact moment it rained in my neighborhood for the first time in three months.

Of course, I started writing this in the morning.  It's now after 9pm and still raining, and this is pretty much the weather until June or July, but for now it feels special.

What does this have to do with VeganMOFO?  I'm not sure yet.  My husband's taking a photo of one of my sketches right now, and I don't know which image he'll choose.  There are only a few left, and the one I drew today turned out so weird I drew a big black permanent-ink X over it just in case I felt desperate enough to post it.  

Scallions.  On one of my exhausted nights, I drew scallions that we sprinkled on top of sweet and sour noodles from the Vegan Vittles cookbook.  They're very pretty when you look at them up close.  I guess you could picture them falling and scattering like rain.  Or you could picture them wrinkled and dehydrated like when they've been sitting on top of something left under a heat lamp.  That was me until this morning.

Well, off to bed to rest in the dark and listen to the rain drip on the awning below our window, a sound I'll stop hearing in a few weeks, but for now feels novel and romantic.   




4 comments:

  1. Isn't the rain lovely? The kids and I ran in the rain when it first started. I thought that they would complain, but it was really fun! Later, I snuggled up under a bunch of quilts, took a nap, and listed to the rain hit the bamboo leaves outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! I especially liked this part, "I've been re-hydrated! From raisin to grape! A metamorphosis only possible in humans, since we know re-hydrated raisins are just re-hydrated raisins, there's no returning to the grape. For me, at least for this moment in the rain, my skin felt renewed and plumped up after a long, slow wilt." Wonderful imagery!

    I so know the feeling you're talking about from when I lived in Los Angeles. Since it wouldn't rain from about April until October, by the time it finally arrived I felt so desperate for it. It was like a huge relief and permission to breathe when the drops finally fell from the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post. I am thrilled that the rain is back. Even today while running around town with the sky covered in clouds I was happy. Yes after the holidays I may start getting tired of the rain and the clouds however for now, I'm happy the rains have returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that--"I've been re-hydrated."
    When I walk in the rain I always say I am being moisturized.

    ReplyDelete